[uClibc] Newbie: a "static" version of buildroot ?

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Thu Sep 4 17:42:29 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 07:40:17PM +0200, lanas wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 22:03:57 -0600
> Erik Andersen <andersen at codepoet.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu Sep 04, 2003 at 05:54:56AM +0200, lanas wrote:
>
> >>   Is there a bundled version of builroot that includes all packages
> >>   in one tar file ?  That is, instead of downloading them one after
> >>   the other with the makefile.
>
> > Not yet...
>
> I was asking because on my main machine I cannot get this kind of
> internet connection going.

It would be fairly easy for you to check the make/*.mk files, grab
wget the appropriate source on another machine, and then just copy
things over to the buildroot/sources/dl directory.

> On the other hand, on a machine with a (Beyond) Linux from Scratch 4.0
> system that I've installed I can get this part going but when building
> binutils. specifically in the directory :
>
> ../buildroot/toolchain_build_i386/binutils-build/bfd/doc
>
> The compiler is called 'c' which of course is not a found executable, as
> in:

This was fixed yesterday in cvs.

> All this to say that I would like to see if it's worthy to use uClibc,
> and, how.
>
> Having only 32 Mb of flash for both a mini Linux system and the program
> files is not an awful lot of space but I think it could possible.  I
> will compare building with libc6 using also the gcc -Os flag.
>
> I have tried using a uClib root filesystem with UML.  While it works all
> right (I use devfs=nomount) I run into a "no space left on device" quite
> soon while building program files.  This is why I took a look at making
> a root fs with buildroot, to allocate much more inodes.

You can loop mount the rootfs image and copy everthing over to some other
directory.

Manuel