[uClibc] Re: Why use perl instead of sed to hack binutils, gcc

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Mon Oct 6 02:49:43 UTC 2003

Erik Andersen <andersen at codepoet.org> writes:
> I use perl since perl allows me to edit files in place.
> Sed edits copies, which must them be moved into place on
> top of the original file, which is a bit more dangerous,

Er, well there's always

   sed FOO < file > file.new && mv file.new file

That's what I always use; even when on a big system, the idea of
starting a bloated monster like perl just to do a simple replace seems
somehow ... offensive.

[Perl's binary is _35 times_ the size of GNU sed on debian, BTW...  Ouch!]

-Miles
--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson