[uClibc] RE: Why use perl instead of sed to hack binutils, gcc

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Sat Oct 4 20:44:05 UTC 2003

On Sun Oct 05, 2003 at 06:04:20AM +0930, Daniel wrote:

> > I use perl since perl allows me to edit files in place.
> > Sed edits copies, which must them be moved into place on
> > top of the original file, which is a bit more dangerous,
> >

> there is always sed -i but either way it get the job done. I just wish I knew
> perl more.

Interesting.  When did sed get the -i option?  <checks the GNU
sed changelog> ok, added 2001-09-25 and first included in gnu sed
version 3.95....

That version is not present in all Linux distros.  Debian stable
for example still ships sed 3.02.  And busybox sed does not (yet)
support the -i option.  So I think switching to sed is still a
bit premature....