[uClibc] uClibc 0.9.23 - build tool question

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Nov 21 23:18:22 UTC 2003

Where's the uclibc faq?

I hope to redo the busybox web page this weekend (finally).  As long as I'm
"in the area", if there's a uclibc FAQ somewhere I could take a stab at
updating it...

On Friday 21 November 2003 09:57, Manuel Novoa III wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:55:49AM +0000, tag wrote:
> > I have recently downloaded uClibc 0.9.23 and after reading the INSTALL
> > file it says that I must have a build environment expressly for uClibc
> > 0.9.23.  Previously I have used uClibc 0.9.20 which installed wrappers
> > around my host's build tools.  My host is a 686 and my target is a 386.
> >
> > From reading the INSTALL file, it seems it isn't possible to compile my
> > sources using my host's build tools anymore.  Could someone confirm this
> > please?
>
> Well, it would be more correct to say that we no longer support it.
> See Erik's post http://uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2003-October/007315.html
> for details.

Frequently asked question.

> > If this is the case, then how do I create a toolchain for uClibc.  I
> > have looked around the web site and perhaps one of these is what I'm
> > looking for:
> >
> > (1) http://www.uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/toolchain/  - I'm am not quite
> > sure what this is - if I use this can I compile my source against
> > uClibc0.9.23?
>
> toolchain hasn't been updated in some time.  buildroot is what we're
> currently using.

Frequently asked question.

> > (2) root_fs_i386.bz2 - maybe this is what I need?
>
> If all you want to do is build uClibc apps for the default
> configuration, that should be fine.

Not exactly a frequently asked question, but a frequently offered answer...

> > (3) build root - I don't think I need this as I have a script that
> > installs everthing to my target - but not sure - I just need to compile
> > + link against uClibc0.9.23.
>
> buildroot is used to build root_fs_<arch>.  Using it would allow
> you to customize things to your needs.

No comment.  (Although I'm giving it another try as we speak...)

> Manuel

Rob