[uClibc] uClibc-gcc Did I miss it?

Jaco Greeff uclibc at puxedo.org
Wed Nov 19 10:24:03 UTC 2003

Hi,

Ok, I must admit, I haven't been closely reading the uClibc mailing lists as I
should. (Too many lists, too little time.) I've just tried to update the
Mandrake package to the new uClibc, since it is used to build busybox which
in turn is used by mklivecd (http://livecd.berlios.de) in it's initrd. Which
worked quite well up till now.

So now only I notice that the uClibc-gcc toolchain is gone. Following the
changelog, I see it has moved into the debian folder (0.9.22) and
subsequently removed (0.9.23). Am I wrong in saying that this approach to
building with/using uClibc as an "inferior" library (could not think of any
other words) is no longer supported?

In this specific environment the use of a buildroot is not an option, since we
are only building one package (that I'm 100% aware of) with uClibc. (Well,
that is apart from the users, you never know quite what they all get up to ;)
I feel quite stuck, last time I tried to get busybox to build with dietlibc I
didn't get quite far enough. I understand that the push is towards buildroot
and towards embedded systems, but there are valid uses for it in a mixed
environment.

So I see one of three choices:

1. Dump uClibc in favour of something else.
2. Port uClibc-gcc from 0.9.2[12] back into 0.9.23 and hope for the best.
3. Keep on using the (outdated) 0.9.21 version in Mandrake.

None of these sound very appealing.

Jaco