[uClibc] Re: uClibc 0.9.22 released

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Mon Nov 10 19:42:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 02:55:53AM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Mon Nov 10, 2003 at 06:46:13PM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> > Erik Andersen <andersen at codepoet.org> writes:
> > > The gcc wrapper is depricated and no longer supported (even for
> > > Debian).
> >
> > Is there a replacement?  I guess I can roll my own, it's just a bit of
> > pain...
>
> binutils + gcc?   I outlined the case for scuttling the gcc
> wrapper here:
>
>     http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2003-October/007315.html
>
> There comes a time when 90% of correct is not enough.  uClibc has
> progressed enough that people had begin running into the wrapper
> limitations quite regularly.  It seemed better to just kill off
> the wrapper and encourage people to use properly built
> toolchains.

As the maintainer of the Debian package, I agree.  I've intended
to kill off the uclibc-toolchain package for a long time, and
instead include scripts to build a toolchain from the toolchain-source
package.  However, just because I intend to do it doesn't mean
that it will ever get done.  :)

dave...