[uClibc]iconv.h and uclibc environment

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Tue May 27 22:57:58 UTC 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:16:52PM +0200, Marcin Bukat wrote:
> Hello!
> I've tryed to build vorbis-tools using uclibc-0.9.19 development
> environment from website. I've got such error:
>
> In file included from iconvert.c:23:
> /usr/include/iconv.h:27:2: #error Attempted to include iconv.h when
> uClibc built without locale support.
> make[1]: *** [iconvert.o] Error 1

The minimal iconv() implementation in uClibc is dependent on locale
support being enabled, because it uses the codeset information in
the locale data.  The inconv.h file contains some preprocessor logic
to alert users to the problem early.  Although perhaps it would be
better to simply not supply iconv.h when locale support isn't enabled.

> As I can understand it is because uclibc in this environment is compiled
> without locale support. So:
> 1. Is there somewhere uclibc development environment with locale support?
> 2. Maby there is some way to fake this and compile without locale (I
> can't realy understand why ogg player wants locale support).

Locale support itself isn't likely to be the issue.  Even when full
locale support isn't enabled, uClibc always support the C|POSIX locales.
My guess would be that ogg player uses iconv() to convert message tags
to/from various codesets.

> Any suggestion welcome

Well, you could check if iconv() use in ogg player configurable at build
time.  If not, you could hack around it or use an alternate iconv
implementation like libiconv (although it is pretty large).  Or you
could build your own locale-enabled uClibc dev env with buildroot.

Manuel