[uClibc]How to handle gettext, libintl?

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Sun May 25 03:17:11 UTC 2003

Hello,

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 06:18:32PM +0200, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> Hello!
> I am working on an uClibc based, rpm packaged "mini distro". What will be
> the future of the locale support in uClibc? I can't decide what to do

Expect a major update of locale support sometime around the end of June.

> with gettext and libintl (some package builds require it). glibc defines
> functions needed, libintl.h is in development package.
> the existing libintl.h from uClibc is not enough. Some configure scripts
> detect it falsely (do not check functions, only the presence of files)
>
> Variant 1.
> Add libintl.{h,a} and related from gettext and build packages against
> these.

For the forseeable future, using gnu gettext would be the way to go.

> Variant 2.
> Use --with-included-gettext on each problematic package (if present) or
> disable nls completely. Later it will require changes to the build
> process, after uClibc will completely have locale support.

Strictly speaking, gettext is not part of the standard C library
as defined by either ANSI/ISO C99 or SUSv3, which are our primary
implementation targets.

> My purpose:
> Write the build process so, that it will work later too (without any
> changes) for example do not use disable-nls anywhere if possible.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Will the functions (now in libintl.a/libc.so.6) go into uClibc's main
> lib or be a separate library (gettext)?
> 2. Will the files libintl.h and related be modified like those from glibc?

I've given some thought to gettext and friends and will probably add
an implementation to uClibc at some point after the 1.0 release.

Manuel