[uClibc]Kernel FPU emulation vs. -msoft-float?

Jon Loeliger jdl at vivato.net
Mon Jun 9 18:12:58 UTC 2003

> Note: Are you using little- or big-endian MIPS?

Little.  mipsel-uclibc-gcc, 3.2.2, ucLibc is 0.9.19 with
a mmap() bug fix or two added.

> The linux-mips.org head is at kernel 2.4.21pre4, and has lots of
people
> hammering on it. I'm pretty sure we would have noticed this kind of
corruption
> by now, so maybe you might want to think about migrating to a
linux-mips
> kernel....

Yeah, so I started with the linux-mips kernel, but with the IDT
additions as posted on their website.  They were 2.4.18 then.

What I'd really like to have are the IDT diffs to get from 2.4.x
to a nominal 2.4.x-idt release, of course...

> > So, here's today's odd failure.  Take this example:
> >
> > [snip]
>
> I compiled and executed it. Here's my output:
>
> as a 1 aea37519
> as a 0 375183d4
> as a l aea37519
> as a l 375183d4

Yep, that's what I get on an x86 box, and if I change
those last "l" (ell)'s to zero and one...

> Here's my modified test program: (pardon my formatting, vi on busybox
sux):

Heck, vi would be nice.  I use "head", "tail" and "cat". :-)

> I think your kernel may be having issues!

That's one possibility.  Trying to clear uClibc has been a
fairly tough process so far, especially given that all
the failures appear there (printf).

> I hope my output helps you, somehow!

At the least, it confirms that I do get good output
occasionally! :-)

jdl