[uClibc] Noted problem with vsnprintf() in 0.9.20

Dean Matsen deanm at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 04:17:06 UTC 2003

Manuel Novoa III wrote:

>Hello,
>
>On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 06:55:23PM -0700, Dean Matsen wrote:
>

>>Hope this is not a repeat posting, but I didn't see
>>any search engine to search the archives...
>>

>Coincidentally, I just posted something on this to the uClinux list.
>
>http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2003-July/019647.html

I sent a message to webmaster @ codepoet.net to maybe add a search
capability
using htdig or something...

>As I mentioned in my post to the uClinux list, I will probably make
>checking the format string when in the C locale a uClibc configuration
>option, since there are so many broken programs out there.  However,
>format strings have to be checked in locales using other codesets.
>So this is just postponing the inevitable fixing of the app itself.
>
>I do not intend my code in uClibc to be as 'tolerant' of standards
>violations as glibc is; at least not be default.  Bad format strings
>are (potential) application _bugs_ and need to be found and fixed.
>The same could be said for allowing signed chars with negative values
>to be accepted by the ctype functions.  glibc allows this to support
>'old broken programs'.  In the next uClibc release, such support will
>be configurable, since by allowing this you can never be sure if
>the value passed was supposed to be ((unsigned char)(-1)) or -1,
>which is EOF in most libc implementations.  (And yes, I've even
>considered making the value of EOF configurable... just to see what
>breaks.)
>
>Manuel

Ok, well the version of telnetd in question comes from the uClibc buildroot
extracted a couple of days ago from the uclibc.org cvsweb server.
Specificaly,
I went to http://www.uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/buildroot/ and then clicked
on "download tarball". It seems like the buildroot available from the
uclibc.org web server ought to be compatible with uclibc itself, right?

I don't keep up on the minutia in the ANSI C standards, but I understand
what you mean on the multibyte stuff... So I guess I agree that the telnetd
should be changed, not vsnprintf().

I have enclosed a patch to make it easy for any interested source
maintainers (I hope this list server allows that -- we'll find out). The
patch
is to be applied immediately following, and in the same manner as, the
existing "netkittelnet.patch" file in buildroot/sources/ .

Thanks
Dean