[uClibc]can't resolve symbol.

Stuart Hughes seh at zee2.com
Thu Jul 10 13:03:48 UTC 2003

ibe at dcl.info.waseda.ac.jp wrote:

> Thanks, Stuart.
>

> > I see the same problem on powerpc 8xx too.  The work-around was to
> set:
> >
> > # UCLIBC_HAS_FLOATS is not set
> >
> > in the uclibc configuration.  This is not a proper solution though as
> > can't work out why/how when busybox links it resolves __adddf3 and
> > friends, but on the target when it runs, these symbols get reported as
> > unresolved.
>
> But I tried to do such approach, my linux stoped while booting.
> (after appearing init message. So it can't boot.)
>
> Busybox (or libc) use object of libgcc, so if I set
>
>  # UCLIBC_HAS_FLOATS is not set
>
> I think it naturally can't run.
>
> Does your linux run properly?
> or
> Do you think I forget any important things?
>
> If you have other hint, please help me.
>
> I am Sorry to bother you.

Mine runs okay, but I did change the toolchain build to add --nfp to
both binutils an a gcc (using EXTRA_CONFIG_OPTIONS from memory,  not
sure if that is the right name).  Also the toolchain built the uclibc
part with -msoft float.  Not sure if this is relevant.

The most significant other thing I noticed was that originally I was
using busybox-0.60 and my system would hang on boot (after mounting the
rootfs).  Upgrading busybox to the latest version fixed this for me.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Stuart