[uClibc] Problems with IO.so in perl

Tero Lyytikäinen tero at paravant.fi
Thu Jul 3 11:23:33 UTC 2003

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Michael Ryan wrote:

> I also tried to execute ldd on the shared object in question and it
> seems to be compiled statically, while on my workstation [also Perl
> 5.8.0], it is dynamically linked to glibc 2.3.1. My workstation is
> running Debian Unstable, by the way.

I got a similar situation with perl and the problem was that the perl
executable was statistically linked to libdl. (Actually it was
statistically linked to everything but libc)

So I just moved away the libdl.a file, recompiled perl and then ldd
reported perl was dynamically linked to libdl!

So I really don't know why this happens but my suggestion is to move all
the relevant .a files temporarily away, recompile and then your perl and
it's modules should be dynamically linked.

I have previously encountered similar problems, like 'gcc -o test test.c'
generating static executables. The location of the library files seems to
cause this...?