[uClibc] uClibc Mozilla

Daniel Pezoa dpforos at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 19:42:54 UTC 2003

Hello uClibc Community

I'am new to Uclibc.

I want to compile mozilla for the use in a Freevix,
one small linux distribution booteable from network,
wich is compiled with uClibc.

My first problem is, i don't found all the info needed
for setting my uClibc development environment, i try
the following:

1) I download the file:
http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/uClibc-0.9.19.tar.gz

2) I run the command:
make menuconfig   /* And select some options that i
don't remember */
make clean
make
make install    /* All that work ok */

3) To compile programs with uClibc, i run:

export PATH=/usr/i386-linux-uclibc/bin:$PATH

and then just run './configure' and 'make' as usual.

Is that the right way to compile with uClibc, i think
some other settings are needed to compile for uClibc
environment. Your comments, url, ... are welcome,
because i need your help.

My second attempt is really very different, i download
that file:

http://www.uclibc.org/downloads/root_fs-i386.bz2

Next i don't found the info about what to make with
it, i search in many places, an my steps are ... :

bzip2 -d root_fs-i386.bz2
mkdir mnt   // for mount the filesystem
// For resize the file system
e2fsck -f root_fs-i386
resize2fs root_fs-i386 2500000
// Now the size is ok to add mozilla :-)
mount -o loop root_fs-i386 mnt
// I copy and extract mozilla sourcecode
chroot mnt

I don't know if i need more to work with my uClibc
environment, some environment variables, modify some
files or run some another commands, your experience
and comments are welcome :-)

I don't set any environment variable and run any
nother command after the chroot mnt. If i need to do
some changes please let me know it.

I go to mozilla directory and attempt to configure
with

./configure

it require perl, and i add the perl uClibc compiled
found in the freevix distribution. (perl ok).

Now i need gtk, and gtk require glib, atk, pango, and
glib require pkgconfig (it compile ok) and require
iconv() implementation

i attempt to compile libiconv-1.8

./configure         // I think it run ok
make                // It send one error

The last lines of the output are:

make[1]: Entering directory `/libiconv-1.8/src'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc  iconv_no_i18n.o
../lib/libiconv.la
-o iconv_no_i18n
gcc iconv_no_i18n.o -o .libs/iconv_no_i18n
../lib/.libs/libiconv.so
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
iconv_no_i18n.o: In function `main':
/libiconv-1.8/src/iconv.c:247: the 'setlocale'
function supports only
C|POSIX locales
../lib/.libs/libiconv.so: undefined reference to
`_IO_getc'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [iconv_no_i18n] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/libiconv-1.8/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2
[root at tvmovil libiconv-1.8]#

I appreciate your comments, sugestion, please don't be
brief in your responses, i'am very new to that uClibc
world and need to understand it.

Good luck and my congratulations for your work, to the
uClibc community!

Daniel Pezoa