[uClibc]Problems running ACE under uClibc 0.9.15 for i386

Joey Nelson joey at joescan.com
Mon Jan 27 22:25:29 UTC 2003

I seem to be having a problem using the ACE library
(http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE.html) under uClibc.  I'm getting
segmentation faults when I try to run my application linked against
libACE.so on my embedded target.  The application runs fine on the
development box.

I haven't gotten around to setting my system up for remote debugging so
I can't pin-point where the seg-fault is occurring.  I'll be trying to
get that set up today, so hopefully I'll have more information soon.

I compile ACE with using the wrapped g++.  I had to go in and fix some
places in ACE's make files where they had hard-coded references to
/usr/lib files.  With those small changes I was able to compile the
library.

However, when I run 'ldd libACE.so' (the wrapped version) the output is:
	libdl.so.0 => /usr/local/uclibc/lib/libdl.so.0
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0
	libm.so.0 => /usr/local/uclibc/lib/libm.so.0
	libc.so.0 => /usr/local/uclibc/lib/libc.so.0
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6
	ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2

It seems like the library is somehow getting linked against some of the
non uClibc libraries.  However, I'm far from a dynamically loaded
library guru, so I'm not all the sure what ldd is really telling me.

ACE is has a very convoluted configuration scheme, but in the end the
ACE makefile executes the following to link the library:
g++ -Wl,-h -Wl,libACE.so.5.3.0 -D_POSIX_THREADS
-D_POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS -D_REENTRANT
-I/home/highfreq/ACE_wrappers -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -DACE_BUILD_DLL
-DACE_OS_BUILD_DLL -shared -o libACE.so.5.3.0 ...a ton of .o files...
-L/home/highfreq/ACE_wrappers/ace -L./  -ldl -lpthread

It doesn't look like anything here would sneak in non-uClibc libraries,
but again I'm not an expert.

Anyone have any tips on what my problem might be.

Thanks,

Joey Nelson