[uClibc]Difficulty linking uClibc test apps

Eldridge Mount eldridge at labxtechnologies.com
Wed Jan 8 16:01:04 UTC 2003

Hello,

I've been having difficulty linking even a relatively simple app against
uClibc, so I turned to the test applications.  I am using uClibc-0.9.16,
and the GCC 2.95.3 toolchain for the Motorola ColdFire M5272.  I'm also
using Cygwin as my host development platform, and have been able to
build the uClinux kernel & user apps against uC-libc & boot it up on my
M5272C3 development board.  Here's what I get when trying to build the
first test app (args) against uClibc:

> make TARGET_ARCH=m68k

../../extra/gcc-uClibc/m68k-uclibc-gcc -Wall -Os -fomit-frame-pointer
--uclibc-use-build-dir -c arg_test.c -o arg_test.o

../../extra/gcc-uClibc/m68k-uclibc-gcc -s -Wl,-warn-common --static
--uclibc-use-build-dir arg_test.o -o arg_test

/home/emount/src/uClibc-0.9.16/lib/libc.a(__uClibc_main.o): In function
`__uClibc_start_main':

__uClibc_main.o(.text+0xa8): relocation truncated to fit: R_68K_PLT16
__h_errno_location

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Typically, I would expect relocation truncated errors to occur when
linking reeeeeallly large binaries, and the -Wl,relax option can take
care of those.  These are similar to the errors I was getting trying to
link my own applications; it seems that any reference to anything in
libc ends up getting truncated.  What's going on here?  The only
reference I can find to these types of errors in mailing list archives
are valid problems where references are being made across miles and
miles of code space, figuratively speaking.

- regards,

Eldridge Mount

Lab X Technologies, LLC