[uClibc]Xfree compilation completed with bison-1.35

Terje Kvernes terjekv at math.uio.no
Sun Feb 23 19:22:59 UTC 2003

Christian MICHON <christian_michon at yahoo.fr> writes:

> --- Terje Kvernes <terjekv at math.uio.no> wrote :
>
> > apart from hacking the makefile, how did you skip xdm?  after
> > commenting out xdm-stuff from xc/programs/Makefile, XFree 4.2.1
> > built without a hitch.  of course, I haven't _tested_ it yet, but
> > it built and installed as it should.  great work!
>
> I did hack the Makefile. Ultimately, we should fix the crypt pb, or
> anyway patch the original sources of Xfree to get to build the
> server, the libs and only a few clients.

  I'm not sure I see the big reason to make a partial build of XFree.
  it's easy enough to make a build-environment large enough to
  accommodate the full build, which is only around 100MiB.  from there
  you can just extract what you need afterwards.  the tricky bit might
  be to find out what you need to get things working, but frequent use
  of ldd helps.  :-)

> Xdm ultimately should be in, if you boot in runlevel 5. It's not my
> preference, but we should keep it in.

  xdm is useful, granted.  a thin client won't need it, but most
  people I know who run X use xdm or another display manager (gdm /
  kdm).

  [ ... ]

> For adding extra like window managers or rxvt like stuff, this
> should be separated.

  I'm just waiting for someone to yell "KDE" or "Gnome".  :-)

--
Terje