[uClibc]Problems with x86 dev image (20030210)

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Feb 12 00:20:15 UTC 2003

On Tue Feb 11, 2003 at 02:45:15PM +0100, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> Hello!
>
> The new development image for x86 has following problems (the most of them
> required by configure)
> a. sed requires "q" and "y"
> b. grep requires "-E" = egrep, "-F" = fgrep, fgrep link is also required
> c. link /usr/bin/ar to /usr/i386-linux/bin/ar, the busybox ar is missing
> "c"
> d. tar returns invalid magic (it is buggier than before, where only some
> files could not be untarred)

All of these are the result of a build error in the last dev
image relase for x86.  These utils were accidentally overwritten
by the busybox applets of the same name, and are therefore less
than full featured.  This will be fixed for the next release.

> e. a few configure scripts use cmp and diff (diffutils)

added

> Proposals:
>
> a. autoconf/automake does not make sense without perl, add some miniperl,
> or remove auto* completely
> b. add some more utilities: bison,flex,patch(and ed),file,makeinfo(texinfo)

ok, I'll work on these.  But do keep in mind that my goal here is
_not_ to create the worlds best Linux distibution -- my goal is
mainly to make it easy for people to build things using uClibc.

> c. yacc shell script running: exec /usr/bin/bison -y "$@"

symlink

> Wishes:
> a. use bash-2.0a (b has too many problems - for me :-( )

Hmm.  details?

> b. build with locale support
> c. add iconv from uClibc

I plan on doing this soon.

> d. build uClibc with full rpc support
> e. add gz compressed module support to insmod

sorry.  Compile up the real modutils, and modify uClibc's config
and rebuild rebuild for full rpc if you want this.  Again, my
goal is not to provide a perfect linux distro.  This is a build
system for use in building your own uClibc apps...

> f. if /etc/ld.so.cache support is working, activate it, and build ldconfig
> statically installed into /sbin

I leave this disabled since it provides no real benefit.
There is no need for ldconfig.  I will add a symlink from
ldconfig to /bin/true in case scripts are calling it...