[uClibc]stupid questions

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Feb 11 09:24:52 UTC 2003

On Mon Feb 10, 2003 at 03:14:16PM +0000, Mark and Janice Juszczec wrote:

> Folks
>
> I did all kinds of debugging over the weekend, took great notes and planned
> to ask all kinds of intelligent questions this morning.
>
> The I realized I screwed something up in my builds rendering all the
> information I collected useless!
>
> Its good to do stupid things, it keeps you humble.  I've got alot to be
> humble about ;-(
>
> So all I've got this morning are some kind of dumb questions.
>
> I've enabled "Compile native shared library loader" and "Native shared
> library loader 'ldd' support" and thrown lots of debugging stuff in the
> kernel.
>
> The messages say I'm using /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0 as the ELF interpreter.
> This is a link to ld-uClibc-0.9.17.so
>
> This all means I do not need a mipsel version of ld.  Is that right?

If I understand your question correctly -- yes, uClibc can build
its own shared library loader for mips.

> If I did not enable "Compile native shared library loader" I would need a
> mipsel version of ld compiled with uClibc.  Is that right?

As the shared library loader is staticly linked, you _could_ use
one from glibc if you wanted to.  But it will be bigger....

> What about turning off "Native shared library loader 'ldd' support" ?
> Would I need a mipsel ld compiled agains uClibc?

uClibc includes a minimal 'ldd' which works by reading the
ELF headers rather then executing the shared library loader.