[uClibc]uClibc problems with utf-8 strings?

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Sat Feb 1 19:27:38 UTC 2003

Hi,

I have a problem with the wide character support in uClibc-0.9.17.  I
compiled uClibc with wide character support and am trying to print a
very simple string that is formatted in UTF-8.

[root at server1]# cat test.c
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main() {
        printf ("Désactivé\n");

        return 0;
}
[root at server1]# file test.c
test.c: UTF-8 Unicode C program text
[root at server1]# chroot /mnt/dir/ /bin/test
Invalid multibyte format string.

That string has two e's with accents on them.  It looks fine in vi, and
it really is a UTF-8 file.  Am I missing something obvious here?

Kind regards,

Mark Wormgoor
* |\    /|      |  /|  /       Mark Wormgoor                  *
* | \  / |      | / | /        mailto:mark at wormgoor.com       *
* |  \/  |ark   |/  |/ormgoor  http://www.wormgoor.com/mark/  *