[uClibc] Toolchains thoroughly inadequate

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Wed Dec 31 22:13:20 UTC 2003

On Wed Dec 31, 2003 at 04:56:00PM -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> > Why did you spend such time?  Why not grab the pre-built x86
> > development environment
>
> I can think of a few reasons:
>
> - I want all my development tools to be packages as RPMs, so they can be
>   installed, uninstalled, verified, listed, etc

Fine.  I want mine to be .debs.  I chroot (or in my case boot
into) a standalone uClibc dev system and build .debs there.

> - I don't want to be restricted to a chrooted environment
> - I want to be able to build my own tools
> - I want to cross compile

<shurg>

> That said, I don't see any point in crying "Toolchains
> thoroughly inadequate" to the list. If things don't work how
> you like them, look elsewhere, or fix the problem[s].

????

I don't recall crying any such thing.  I do recall working on
uClibc for the past several years, and I recall fixing the
problems I have encountered, and I recall making toolchains and
dev systems and buildroot available.  Sorry my stuff don't fit
your needs, but that is only to be expected.  It fits my needs
and works for me. :-)

You may want to take a look at the openzaurus buildroot,
    http://openzaurus.bkbits.net/
    http://openzaurus.sourceforge.net/snapshot/

That is probably much closer to what you are looking for.  It
builds ipkg packages rather than RPMs, but other than that
matches up with much of what you have described.