[uClibc] Toolchains thoroughly inadequate

Mark Robson slarty2 at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 31 14:21:36 UTC 2003

Dear All,
	I've used uclibc for a while, and the old gcc wrappers always used to work
well.

Ok, I've read the thread suggesting that the wrappers are no longer the way to
go - that seems fine.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to get or obtain a working toolchain (i386)

- The prebuilt i386 toolchain disc image: This seems ok, but when compiling
anything more complex than Hello, World, the compiler crashes.
	Result: Unusable

To quote the web page

"*  You can build your own uClibc toolchain  using this to automagically
download all the needed source code and compile everything for you."

Well, that's all very well, but there is a TOTAL ABSENCE of any form of
documentation telling me what to do. So I guessed.

I built the toolchain successfully, and now have a "toolchain" directory with
some stuff in, but when I use it in what I guess (naively) is the appropriate
way (putting its bin directories in the path), it doesn't work

I can of course successfully compile "Hello, World", but more complex things,
gives me compiler errors, at a guess due to still using glibc headers.

Thus, I'm totally stuck. The premade toolchain crashes and the one I built,
doesn't work and doesn't come with instructions or ANY FORM of DOCUMENTATION,
of ANY KIND (excepting the single sentence quoted above)

This all seems awfully difficult, and I'm currently actively considering
reverting to an old uclibc that provides the wrappers

Mark