[uClibc] where did the wrappers go?

Charlie Brady charlieb-uclibc at e-smith.com
Tue Dec 23 21:42:58 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Mon Dec 22, 2003 at 02:16:27PM -0500, Charlie Brady wrote:
> >
> > They're not there any longer. They were removed in 0.9.22, but the
> > changelog doesn't say why.
>
> http://www.uclibc.org/lists/uclibc/2003-October/007315.html

In brief:

- "ld --nostdinc" apparently can't be trusted to only look where you tell
   it for libraries.

- gcc3 generates code which requires libgcc, some of which requires
  glibc symbols and structures (unless we build a uClibc specific libgcc).

Have I got that correct?

I'm curious, as one *should* be able to build and use a library without
building its own toolchain. I'm also in the process of trying to update
Steven Hill's SRPMS, so I want to understand the issues.

Let's start with my first question: why do we need binutils specially
built for uclibc? (I can't see anything different in Mr Hill's binutils,
other than the names of the executables).

--
Charlie