[uClibc] Rob's buildroot howto updates?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Dec 11 05:05:00 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 20:51, Selwyn Tang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My thanks to Rod Landley for his informative buildroot howto. Since the
> howto was posted in August, I wonder if there are any updates to it.
> Also, is there an official URL to it, instead of the one attached to his
> post?

Wow.  I'd totally forgotten I'd done that.  I'm glad you found it useful.

No, there isn't an updated version, or an official URL.  I went back to grad
school and have been buried up to my neck since about september.

I haven't played with buildroot much since then because the version in CVS
didn't like me.  For a solid month there I couldn't get it ot build, for a
constantly changing list of reasons.  Don't optimize for i686, you must use
the busybox snapshot because the ancient 0.60 has some bug or other, today's
CVS version of some buildroot make file has a typo, make clean doesn't work
(and can eat portions of your host system if you're dumb enough to run it as
root), etc.  It was always something.  I eventually just gave up.

Now that there's actual releases (coming?), I'll probably thump on it again
soon.  But largely, I'm interested in extracting the changes necessary to
build a gcc for uclibc as part of a Linux From Scratch system, so I can put
together my own uclibc based system.  And when I get free time again
(apparently, not this week), my first target is getting busybox to be part of
a working set of development tools.  (Mostly cleaning up sed so far.
Autoconf relies on sed quite heavily, so the ./configure step of everything
breaks.  Still does, actually, although I'm fixing it as I get time...)

> Selwyn

Rob