[uClibc] Build to another directory : any interest in a patch?

Carl Miller chaz at energoncube.net
Wed Dec 10 06:23:34 UTC 2003

Hi, folks.  I'm trying to set up a unified toolchain generator for
several different projects.  Some of them want to use uClibc.  We
want to do all the builds from a single common source tree into
multiple object trees, one per target.  Gcc, binutils, and glibc
support this well, but it appears that as of 0.9.23, uClibc does
not.  I've been working on getting uClibc to allow itself to be
built in this manner, and I think I'm almost close enough to release
an alpha-quality patch to other users for further testing.  Would
anyone be interested in receiving it and trying it out?  Would the
maintainers consider it for inclusion into the official uClibc
sources?

FYI, where I'm at so far...
With my heavily-patched uClibc source tree under source/uClibc-0.9.23
I executed:
    cd build
    mkdir build-uclibc
    cd build-uclibc
    ../../source/uClibc-0.9.23/relocate
    make defconfig
    make all
    make utils
and got clean builds all the way to the end with no warnings that didn't
seem already to be there, and no errors.  relocate is a small perl script
that will be included in the patch; it's intended to work somewhat akin
to GNU autoconf's configure script.

Any interest, questions, or advice?  (Replies to me as I'm not subscribed.)
Thanks!

                           -----Carl