[uClibc] PowerPC dynamic linking

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Fri Dec 5 16:16:50 UTC 2003

Hi Jeff,

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 05:37:40PM -0800, Jeffrey Baitis wrote:
> Perhaps I'm having similar issues, too. Could a PowerPC expert comment?
> I've just started hacking on this new Motorola 'Ice Cube' 5200LITE EVB.
> It has a 603e core, and I specify no compiler flags for the cross
> compile. I assume this is correct since my glibc-based kernel seems to
> work :P
>
> I've tried the Erik-supplied root_fs-0.9.21+, as well as CVS HEAD and a
> snapshot from November 3 before the GCC wrapper changes. None of these
> work. I get an error message:
>
> (null): PPID: bad variable name

The same thing happens in the current stuff, as I discovered when
testing a new buildroot build for powerpc the other day.

> Seems like the ELF interpreter doesn't recognize the format of
> /sbin/init. bummer.
>
> If I replace /sbin/init with a glibc statically-linked version of 'hello
> world,' it executes just fine. hrmf.
>
> Am I on the right track here?
>
> Thanks guys.

When I mentioned it to Erik the other day, he seemed to have an
idea of at least where to look for a problem in the shared loader.
But I think he's till catching up, and hasn't had a chance to
look at it yet.

Manuel