[uClibc] Buildtool and uClibc menuconfig

wct2003jm at comcast.net wct2003jm at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 18:29:10 UTC 2003

After a week of using buildtool and building lots and lots of things, I think I'm getting pretty comfortable with it.

The one thing that burns me every time, however, is the configuration of buildtools/Makefile versus what uClibc configures.

Seems like no matter what I want to do (mips little-endian), editing uClibc.config and the buildtools Makefile are not the right way.

Once uClibc begins its 'make', the configuration tool (zconf?) pops up - it seems willing to build a mips architecture for me, but insists on big-endianess, and then prompts for the MMU and the FPU options even if I have them specified in uClibc.config .

I don't really mind it stopping to ask about MMU/FPU - but it's *maddening* to have it prompt for the endianness only to assume the wrong answer and keep going.

(Actually, it's GOOD that it stops to ask for the MMU or I might not have noticed the incorrect endianness until much more was at stake!)

I've tried editing .config by hand and touching the targets that would rebuild it; I interrupt the buildtools 'make' after uClibc is unpacked and manually cd down to build and run menuconfig; no matter. I really can't afford the time to learn all of uClibc's cofiguration sources just this week, sorry! So I ask.

So I'll ask a shotrer question: what, exactly, do I do to ensure that my defaults are the defaults for uClibc configuration?

I thank you all for reading this and taking the time to share any advice you can.

-wt