[uClibc] uClibc and utent.c

John Williams jwilliams at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 19 01:48:59 UTC 2003

Hi,

A problem I'm having on microblaze uClinux seems related to an inability
of setutent() to open /var/run/utmp.

I looked into the code, uClibc/libc/misc/utmp/utent.c, to see that the
file is first opened in O_RDWR, if that fails then tries O_RDONLY, then
otherwise it fails and returns NULL.

On my system the directory /var/run exists, and is writeable.

My question is this - should there be an O_CREAT flags OR'd with the
O_RDWR flag on the first attempt - ie if it doesn't already exist,
should it be created?

I don't know about any standards and what they specify for this
behaviour, but it might seem to make sense..

Otherwise, should I perhaps be adding "touch /var/run/utmp" to my
uclinux RC script?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John