[uClibc] GCC target for uClinux with uClibc

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Sat Aug 9 22:34:58 UTC 2003

Hello,

in order to make some of the GCC patches acceptable,
I must avoid uClinux specific changes in the m68k-elf
target headers.

The only solution is adding a new target specific to
uClinux, or uClibc, or both.

I was thinking about m68k-uclinux-elf or m68k-uclibc-elf.
Some of the constraints are:

 - uClinux binaries must be linked differently
   than m68k-elf binaries

 - There are two C libraries for uClinux: uC-libc
   (smaller) and uClibc (feature complete and highly
   glibc compatible). Currently, I'm only supporting
   uClibc, but someone might want to support uC-libc
   in the future.

 - I would like to keep configuring binutils as
   "m68k-elf" because the uClinux specific patches
   don't conflict with embedded targets.

 - Preserving the original "m68k-elf-" prefix for
   GCC binaries would make the transition to the
   new toolchain less painful.

 - libstdc++ really wants to know wether it's using
   uClibc instead of glibc. It doesn't really matter
   whether it's uClinux or some other Linux incarnation.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/

Please don't send Word attachments - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html