[uClibc]error building mipsel-linux gmon.c

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Mon Apr 14 19:27:07 UTC 2003

On Mon Apr 14, 2003 at 04:09:28PM +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 15:30, Joel Coltoff wrote:
> > On 9 Apr 2003, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've hit another problem building for mipsel-linux.
> > >
> > > gmon.c: At top level:
> > > gmon.c:517: parse error before "__mcount"
> > > gmon.c:518: warning: return type defaults to `int'
> > >
> > > I'm using gcc 3.2, and it's having difficulty with  __attribute_used__
> > > in machine-gmon.h. I know that gcc 3.1 needs this definition in order to
> > > emit the proper code, but I'm not so sure about gcc 3.2
> > >
> > > I've removed __attribute_used__ from machine-gmon.h and it now builds,
> > > but I haven't had a change to properly test it yet.
> >
> > Have you gotten any feedback on this. We are in the middle of a long
> > needed update (from 0.9.12) and will bump into this. I'd like to know
> > if it's safe to make the same change here. I'm probably not in a position
> > to determine if it's a safe change. We'll be using 3.2.2. A co-worker
> > downloaded the binaries of a native compiler and hasn't had any problems
> > using it.
> >

> I've not had any feedback on this yet, but it only applies to the CVS
> version when profiling support is enabled. The last release 0.9.19
> compiles ok.

I see no reason why removing the __attribute_used__ should
cause you any problems.  Perhaps we need to add in something
like

    #if __GNUC__ <= 3 && __GNUC_MINOR__ <= 1

before adding the __attribute_used__?

> As for testing the profiling, I've not yet had a chance.

I have been hoping for feedback on whether profiling actually
works on mips, so when you get a chance...