[uClibc]gcc3.2 toolchain and shared libs

Alex King alex at morrison.king.net.nz
Tue Sep 24 14:07:28 UTC 2002

I downloaded gcc-3.2-uclibc-20020916.src.tar.bz2 and compiled a
toolchain with it, but I have two problems.

Firstly, trying to compile gmp 4.1, during the configure stage I get:

configure:7742: checking whether the gcc linker
(/home/alex/src/gcc-3.2/toolchain/usr/i386-linux/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries
configure:8526: result: no

and:

configure:9677: checking if libtool supports shared libraries
configure:9679: result: no

but I want to use shared libraries :(

I have successfully compiled shared libraries in the past with the
wrapper...

Secondly, I don't really understand the whole process,  I am in need of
some basic documentation (I hope I haven't missed it somewhere, I have
looked)

How do i use the toolchain I have created?  I guess it is using:

export PATH=/home/alex/src/gcc-3.2/toolchain/usr/bin/:$PATH

so configure, make et al will pick up the new compiler?  I found that
configure (gmp 4.1 again) would fail telling me that my compiler could
not produce executables until I installed ld-uClibc-0.9.15.so in /lib
(host and target are i386)

When I build the toolchain, it also builds uClibc, but it is not obvious
how to install the resulting libs on the target machine.  I just copied
the so's to the target's lib dir and ran ldconfig and it seems to work
fine.  However, the Config file for uClibc is not set exactly as I would
like it.  Should I recompile uClibc somewhere else with my prefered
config?  Will the toolchain I built still be OK to produce executables
for the new uClibc if I change eg. KERNEL_SOURCE ( to 2.4.19),
INCLUDE_RPC to false and UNIX98PTY_ONLY to true?  I guess I should just
try it.

I am feeling like I have missed something somewhere along the line....

Alex