[uClibc]Building Xnest for UMLinux

Christian MICHON christian_michon at yahoo.fr
Tue Sep 3 15:37:46 UTC 2002

--- Fredrik Johnsson <fredrikj at orestad-linux.se> wrote:
> I'm trying to get UMLinux working with Xnest, but whatever I try it won't
> build Xnest server.

Using UMLinux is a good idea, but using Xnest is not, according to
http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Xnest.1.html. I quote: "Still crashes randomly.
Probably has some memory leaks."

> The reason for builing it like this is to be able to test the WIndowManager
> aswell.

Why not booting your main linux in fb device (vga=791 or similar), and launch
a UMLinux session. It would inherit the fb, and you could launch TinyX as a X
server and any WM you want to test on it. I already tried fvwm2 and wm2 in the
past. Of course twm works fine, and so does mwm from LessTiff.

Good luck. I should try UMLinux soon too. Read a lot about it in Linux Format.

Christian