[uClibc]Re: Awk poetry ;) [was: awk replacement for initfini.pl]

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Tue Oct 15 10:03:34 UTC 2002

Christian MICHON <christian_michon at yahoo.fr> writes:
> When I joined my company, some of my colleagues were saying nawk stands
> for "not awk".  Basically they meant nawk can do more than awk.

Perhaps that was accurate 15 years ago, but it's hardly the case these
days.  What people think of as `awk' is a language with functions, etc.

The real killer though, at least in my experience (on suns), is that
/usr/bin/awk is horribly buggy, so things often don't work right even
if you avoid the `new features'.

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!