[uClibc]Re: buildroot problems on SuSE8.1

Tsuyoshi GEMMA tgem at ecodacs.or.jp
Sat Nov 23 06:16:54 UTC 2002

Hello JeeBak and Erik,

JeeBak Kim wrote:

>* Tsuyoshi GEMMA (tgem at ecodacs.or.jp) [021122 20:26]:
>

>>First, I made a rough estimate of file size needed for root_fs
>>by du command like this.
>>
>>du -k /home/tgem/workbench/buildroot/build/root/* | gawk
>>'BEGIN{s=0}{s=s+$1}END{print s}'
>>

>or just: du -ks /home/tgem/workbench/buildroot/build/root   ;-)

I learned one more tips. I had to remember 'summarize' option. Thanks!

>This is a limitation of genext2fs, the 8 meg (or whatever) max.  This
>shortcoming is mentioned in ext2root.mk iirc.  Your method is what I
>usually do too... with the addition of making the /dev files with a
>script/mknod that parses the the device_table.txt (don't remember exact
>name) file in the buildroot/sources dir.

You are right. This issue was clearly stated in ext2root.mk as 'Known
problems'.
Until now, I read ext2root.mk but I noticed it after you  mentioned it.
What a shame that I did so.
I want to try to make such a script to add the /dev/*  files later.

Erik Andersen wrote:

>Right.  genext2fs is currently limited to a maximum of 8 MB,
>and this filesystem is certainly larger.  This step failed for
>me, but it isn't very important.  You can use dd, mke2fs, and
>loop mounting to copy everything into a filesystem (just be
>sure to add a populated /dev directory!).  Even simpler, you
>can simply use chroot to use your new uClibc world, i.e.
>    chroot ./build/root
>and you will be working inside the uClibc devel system you
>just built.
[snip]
>Very good.  Also, if you want the system to be able to boot, you
>should populate the /dev directory.  With genext2fs, I use a
>device_table file (under the buildroot/sources directory) to
>populate the /dev directory.

Thank you for your kindness and advice. With JeeBak and Erik's help,
my question was resolved and I can obtain new, cool development system
against uClibc now.

Again, Thanks. It is very kind of you.

Best Regards,

---