[uClibc]Resolver error when missing /etc/hosts

Joseph Chiu josephc at idealab.com
Tue May 21 01:20:40 UTC 2002

Hi,

It seems that in libc/inet/resolv.c, when /etc/hosts is missing, the
resolver just returns an error condition instead of acting as if a matching
entry was not found...  Is this really the desired behavior?  I have an
embedded environment that I’m essentially hand-buliding file-by-file, and
had left out /etc/hosts because I “didn’t need it”...

I was having problems with busybox’s telnet/ping/nfsmount/et al. not working
with uclibc because of this.

IMHO, I think it’s friendlier to just skip the hosts file if there’s a
problem opening it; rather than to throw an error that prevents the use of
your networking programs.  But perhaps I missed some reasoned design
decision?

Thanks,
Joseph
--