[uClibc]The XFress 86

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Mon Mar 11 16:00:09 UTC 2002

On Mon Mar 11, 2002 at 11:33:57AM +0100, Christian MICHON wrote:
> I managed to build a toolchain as suggested by Erik
> (thanks for the tip, by the way). But the main
> differences are:
>  * I prefer gcc-2.95.3 (less broken)
>  * I use kernel 2.4.18 (and not 2.4.17)

I plan on making a gcc-2.95.3 version as well.  As for kernel
version -- the kernel headers are almost 100% irrelevant -- they
just need to be there to supply some header files (they stuff we
need isn't going to be changing during a stable kernel series).

> I got something almost clean. Due to the libio
> broken, I had to do the final make install of gcc
> by hand. Is this correct Erik ?

Hmm.  no, you shouldn't need to do that.

> I'm now playing with cross.def to improve the
> situation. Any suggestions are welcome.
> The former libgcc.a error message was due I believe
> to native compilation, and not cross-compilation.
> The toolchain from Erik is I believe a cross compiler.

Yup.

> PS: Erik, your build is still not a true bootstrap.
> It may break in a few places. At stage4 or 5 (I
> need to rebuild to confirm), gcc is said not to
> be able to build executables. :(
> But since I progressed that far with your makefile,
> maybe a true bootstrap is not needed...

I made a few updates to the toolchain last night (I now use the
latest from CVS for example).  I hope to finish it up today.  If
you can show me some examples of where it fails or anything I am
doing wrong, I'd be glad to fix things,