[uClibc]pthreads with exec under uClibc

Alicia da Conceicao alicia at engine.ca
Tue Mar 5 16:25:54 UTC 2002

Greetings:

I am currently adding optional threading support for my own embedded
FTP server.  Currently it uses "vfork" and "execvp" for directory
listings using the "ls" binary.

Is it okay for me to use "pthread_atfork" on an ARM no-mmu system
with uClibc?  Can I use vfork instead, if the calling thread does
not have any mutex locks?  (Other threads might have active mutexes,
although the calling thread won't.)  Will vfork only create a single
thread, which is a copy of the calling thread, in the new child
process?  (Note that "fork" only creates a single threaded child
process, even when the parent process has many active threads, but I
do not know if vfork does the same, especially on a non-MMU system.)

Thanks in advance.
Alicia.