[uClibc]pread/pwrite broken w/o large file support

Ronald Wahl rwa at peppercon.com
Mon Jul 15 12:28:25 UTC 2002

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 06:16:36 -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:

>> work. It cannot work since you still use the syscall macros. We _need_
>> the unified syscall!

> Refresh my memory again as to why this can only work
> with the unified syscall support?

The problem is that if syscalls take 64-Bit arguments than the registers
that hold the syscall parameters need to be aligned. David Blythe wrote
in this thread: "The powerpc must put an ll parameter in an odd,even
register pair, so it leaves a hole to get to the next pair if
necessary." This can only be done if you have a real -- the unified --
syscall function. Then the compiler does the alignment by itself.

ron

--
\\      Dipl.-Inf. Ronald Wahl   |   Peppercon AG                  //
 \\\         rwa at peppercon.com  |||  http://www.peppercon.com/   ///