[uClibc]looking for a smarter malloc

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Sat Jul 6 00:14:56 UTC 2002

On Sat Jul 06, 2002 at 02:03:18AM +0200, Ronald Wahl wrote:
> > Are you seeing a performance problem?
>
> I'm looking more at memory and not performance resources. :-)
> If you have several processes that allocate big memory chunks that won't
> get returned to the system after free in all cases you will soon end
> in an out of memory condition I guess. Glibc uses mmap and munmap that
> do not have this problem or am I wrong?

Using pure mmap is much worse, and is _not_ what glibc does.
If you want a pure mmap based allocator, then just set
    MALLOC = malloc-simple
in your Config.  It will be slower, will cause greater memory
fragmentation, will waste tons of memory, etc (assuming you
having rewritten the kernel memory management appropriately).
You really don't want to use that unless you are using a uClinux
system where brk/sbrk are not available.

Are you using "MALLOC = malloc-930716"?  What linux kernel
version?  Do you have a sample app that shows your problem?