[uClibc]UNIFIED_SYSCALL - does it work?

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Wed Jan 23 20:50:38 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 09:09:01AM -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> Hello,
> 	If you are compiling into a PIC library, then I don't believe it
> will work at _all_.  I haven't tested the unstable branch without PIC
> on, but I know that the stable one should compile up just fine.  You may
> want to watch out though, because the compiler will throw up LOTS of
> errors.

The unified syscall stuff is currently broken (not that it ever worked
for anything other than i386).  It wouldn't take much to fix it, but I
don't have time to deal with it at the moment.

Fixing it for non-PIC is easy.  Fixing it for PIC is more involved, and
the best approach to take isn't clear.

>           I find that using UNIFIED_SYSCALL=yes produces such an
> insignificant gain that it isn't worth using.  I'm sure there are
> exceptions for that rule, but I can't imagine that it is usefull for
> general use.  Good luck!

Even if it were working, I'd have to agree that the usefulness of the
unified syscall stuff is questionable _as_currently_implemented_.  There
are some tests I want to run (when I have time) to test out some ideas
for the PIC shared lib case.

Manuel