[uClibc]about latest cvs linking changes

Giulio Orsero giulioo at pobox.com
Tue Jan 15 09:00:25 UTC 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002 22:56:17 -0700, Erik Andersen <andersen at codepoet.org>
wrote:

>On Mon Jan 14, 2002 at 11:03:58AM +0100, Giulio Orsero wrote:
>> >Ok, I just tried to reproduce this and I'm not seeing it.  Could
>> >you double check with the latest and greatest and let me know if
>> >you are still seeing the problem?
>>
>> Yes
>Could you send me your uClibc Config file?

I've just tried recompiling without any Config modification (just linked
Config.i386 to Config and go) and the problem persists.
I redownloaded the entire cvs to be sure not to have a local cvs problem,
and the 2 cvs dirs (old and new) are identical.

Some more info:

1)
after compiling is finished, if I try install_target I get an error for ldd

$ mkdir dir1
$ make PREFIX=./dir1 install_target
install -d ./dir1//lib
install -d ./dir1//sbin
install -d ./dir1//usr/bin
install -m 644 lib/lib*-0.9.8.so ./dir1//lib
cp -a lib/*.so.* ./dir1//lib
install -m 755 ldso/util/ldd ./dir1//usr/bin
install: ldso/util/ldd: No such file or directory
make: *** [install_target] Error 1
$

If I go into ldso/util and do "make" ldd is created correctly.

So, is it possible that some other compile path is ignored on my system and
causes the original problem?

2)
Maybe the following is expected behavior.
I tried changing the Makefile to build the shared lib with the same commands
used in old cvs
$ make shared
ar r libutil.a login.o login_tty.o logout.o logwtmp.o openpty.o forkpty.o
install -d ../lib
rm -f ../lib/libutil.a
install -m 644 libutil.a ../lib/
../extra/gcc-uClibc/i386-uclibc-gcc --uclibc-use-build-dir -s
-Wl,-warn-common -nostdlib -shared -o libutil-0.9.8.so \
    -Wl,-soname,libutil.so.0 -Wl,--whole-archive libutil.a -lc
make: *** [shared] Segmentation fault (core dumped)

3)
I tried compiling it on RedHat 7.2 and there's the very same problem
$ rpm -q gcc
gcc-2.96-98
$ rpm -q binutils
binutils-2.11.90.0.8-9
$ rpm -q glibc
glibc-2.2.4-19
$

Is there some log file, config file produced runtime that i can send?

giulioo at pobox.com