[uClibc]dilema -- compile system without root

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Fri Jan 11 11:25:30 UTC 2002

On Thu Jan 10, 2002 at 09:54:33PM -0600, Michael E Brown wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a way to build applications against uClibc
> without having root access, and I am trying to get around that I need to
> either put ld-uClibc.so.1 in /lib/, or set my ld path to something silly
> like /home/mebrown/lib/ld-uClibc.so.1
>
> Any suggestions?

Visit
    http://www.uclibc.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/buildroot/

and either grab a tarball or just look at the Makefile.  This
example builds a User Mode linux kernel and root filesystem
entirely without root.  In this case, it builds using a patched
up genext2fs to build an ext2 rootfs (I really need to send those
patches upstream sometime).

For an example using jffs2, you can visit
    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/tuxscreen/buildroot-tux/

which does the same sorts of things, but cross compiling for ARM
and using mkfs.jffs2 (and I actually did get my patches in
upstream for that one) for a JFFS2 rootfs.  They both use the
same config file to produce device nodes and such, which bypasses
the need to be root.

Anyway, in both examples, it compiles up uClibc and installs it
into a local staging directory.  Then when applications are
built, they are build using the local staging dir.