[uClibc]problems building openssh with uClibc.

Terje Kvernes terjekv at math.uio.no
Fri Dec 27 23:58:37 UTC 2002

  first off, I'm currently not using the toolchain.  what I'm trying
  to do is to build a few applications for a small (8MiB)
  firewall-like setup I'm building, and I've had issues moving
  completed applications from the toolchain installation over the
  flashcard.  so, I've gone back to using uClibc in the more direct
  way, and it works pretty much flawlessly.

  to install openssh (3.5p1), which is the current goal, I've
  installed openssl (0.9.6g) using uClibc under
  /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/openssl/ and the include files are located
  under /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/include/openssl/.  I've also built
  zlib (1.1.4), located under /usr/i386-linux-uclibc/usr/lib, and
  pointed ssh towards it with --with-zlib.  so far so good.

  however, when I try to configure openssh, no matter what I point
  --with-ssl-dir to, I get the following:

checking for daemon... yes
checking for getpagesize... yes
checking whether snprintf correctly terminates long strings... no
configure: WARNING: ****** Your snprintf() function is broken, complain to your vendor
checking whether getpgrp requires zero arguments... yes
checking OpenSSL header version... not found
configure: error: OpenSSL version header not found.

  according to google the snprintf issue comes from using the wrong
  libz and openssh having nsl issues.  sadly enough, I've been unable
  to realize what I should do to fix this situation.  any advice is
  gratefully considered.  :-)

  oh, and yes, I have looked at building openssh statically against
  glibc, but we're quickly looking at >1MiB per binary, and I want to
  have at least sshd and ssh installed.  and of course I hope to get
  the required size down as much as possible.

  and I have to say thank you for all the great work that has been
  done to make small systems possible.  not just with uClibc, but with
  busybox as well.  it's amazing how small a space you can get by
  with!  thanks!

--
Terje