[uClibc]Re: How to make a v850(e)-elf cross compiler from the gcc3.2-uclibc-toolchain

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Mon Dec 16 01:56:08 UTC 2002

Anders Boegild <sredna at mip.sdu.dk> writes:
> Sounds interessting! I wasn't aware that there were other distro's than
> FSF's (except EGCS wich seem to be abandoned)

Well, they're mostly just re-packaged versions of the standard stuff,
but with more attention payed to making sure the v850(e) works, and
often with some v850-specific patches that haven't been merged into the
mainline gcc yet.

> Where can I find these v850e-specific distributions?

I'm not sure if there's a real distribution place -- I guess probably
they probably get sent to customers who ask or something.

The uClinux/v850 web site is:

   http://www.necel.com/micro/uclinux/eng/

There's currently only a very old version of gcc there (2.90?); I'll
see about putting the recent 3.2 release there too.

> Even though I can compile a crosscompiler with newlib, I would still
> like to try uClibc so I've downloaded the latest uClibc toolchain from
> the CVS

First of all, (as I said before) I'm not sure what you mean by `uClibc
toolchain.'  The components that I use and know to work are:

  (1) gcc      [CVS/3.3 or v850-distrib]
  (2) binutils [I'm using 2.11.92.0.12.3, but I guess the latest should work]
  (3) uClibc   [CVS is good; 0.9.16 _should_ work though]
  (3) uClinux

If by `uClibc toolchain,' you just mean `uClibc,' then something is
very wrong -- in the latest CVS of uClibc, you shouldn't ever edit the
Makefile at all, just use `make menuconfig' or whatever.

> but I can't compile it because the linux/include/asm-v850 directory
> seems to be missing from the kernel-headers.  (actually asm-v850nommu,
> since I've set HAS_MMU:=false in the toolchain's Makefile)
> The CVS changelog have some mentions of the directory, but I
> can't make any sense of it -perhaps the asm-v850 directory was in the
> previous version of the kernel-headers...

You need a version of linux that has v850 support -- either uClinux*
(latest CVS is good), or a very recent development release of `normal
linux' (I think anything after 2.5.50 should be OK, at least for getting
the asm-v850 headers).

* See: http://www.uclinux.org

Incidentally, it's `asm-v850,' not `asm-v850nommu;' the `nommu' suffix
is only used for some cases where there are both MMU and non-MMU
versions of the same chip family (and such splits may actually be
removed in the future), so it's incorrect to append `nommu' just because
HAS_MMU is false.

> Do you use the kernel-headers when compiling uClibc?

Yes; since uClibc currently only supports linux, it needs kernel
headers to compile.

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?