[uClibc]uClibc 0.9.16 and devfsd 1.3.25

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Wed Dec 11 16:11:46 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 10:37:20AM -0500, Thomas Cameron wrote:
> 	Did anyone get DevFSd to compile versus the new uClibc?  I get
> almost the same "yp_*" errors.  It almost looks like it would have
> something to do with not building in RPC support, but I have _full_ RPC
> support turned on in uClibc.  (Running the 12-10-2002 snapshot).  Any

One of Erik's notes in uClibc/docs/Glibc_vs_uClibc_Differences.txt
states:

8) libnsl provides support for Network Information Service (NIS) which was
originally called "Yellow Pages" or "YP"), which is an extension of RPC
invented by Sun to share Unix password files over the network.  I personally
think NIS is an evil abomination, and should be avoided.  These days, using
ldap is much more effective mechanism for doing the same thing.  uClibc does
not provide libnsl.so.1, and has no support for Network Information Service
(NIS).  We therefore, also do not provide any of the headers files provided by
glibc under /usr/include/rpcsvc.   I am open to implementing ldap based
password authentication, but I do not personally intend to implement it (since
I have no use for it).

> guesses?  Any patches?  Additionally, if I were to compile devfsd
> statically against Glibc, what compile switches do I need?  Appearantly
> something has changes since I last built my utilities, because you
> _used_ to be able to get it to work.  :-)  Thanks for any help!

You'll have to hack the code to remove the NIS dependencies.  It isn't
difficult.

Manuel