[uClibc]uClibc-based server

Tony Tonchev tony at stclaire.com
Tue Dec 10 16:13:28 UTC 2002

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice...

I'm new to uClibc and fairly new to Linux in general. I also realize that there is a steep learning curve ahead. I've spent the last couple of months compiling a mini i386 Linux distribution against uClubc. I know that uClibc isn't intended as such, but my purpose is a compact server distribution with versions of Samba, Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc. without the bloat of glibc. That, coupled with a nice shiny web-based admin interface sounded so good to me that I had myself a project.

I have a bootable/working root with all essential utilities such as lilo, busybox, tinylogin, cfdisk, ex2fs utils, ncurses, nano, etc. The last week or so was spent battling libnsl. I spent time modifying config.h files, looked at disabling nis/yp support, etc. The magnitude of required work seems to grow with every tweak I make. I'm at the point of throwing in the towel...

The idea was that the minimalistic approach should result in high performance on mid/lower end machines. I like the idea of cramming as much useful code into the CPU cache as possible. Since uClibc is compact, the result, I thought will be positive.

If I'm wrong in that assumption and in general headed the wrong path, someone please correct me so I don't dig myself any deeper then I already am ;-)

Any advice on the subject is welcome...

Thanks...

Tony