[uClibc]Re: malloc, munmap, etc...

Miles Bader miles at lsi.nec.co.jp
Thu Dec 5 06:04:08 UTC 2002

Jon Nelson <jnelson at jamponi.net> writes:
> > The other thing that may contribute to memory usage, but which is still
> > arguably not a leak, is heap fragmentation.  This varies widely
> > depending on how the application uses malloc/free, and is probably
> > impossible to get rid of entirely, but seeing some debugging output
> > might help identify pathological cases.
>
> Ah, interesting!  I wonder if dmalloc or valgrind have heap
> fragmentation detector thingies. Hmmmmmm.

That might be useful, but keep in mind that fragmentation is the result
of interaction between the behavior of the allocation and the algorithms
used by the allocator, so even if such tools don't show anything, it
could still occur on another platform.

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"