[uClibc]Probable dumbass attack

Bruce J.A. Nourish kode187 at kode187.net
Wed Aug 28 14:44:04 UTC 2002

Hi everyone,

I have quite alot of experience with compiling programs - I'm made three
LFS systems at various points in time, but I'm new to the whole alternative
libc thing. I'm probably doing something really stupid.

I have two projects involving uClibc right now - an old 386 laptop and a
vtun VPN node/router on a floppy for a friend of mine. My problem is that
I can't compile anything except those things _designed_ to be highly
portable. Perhaps it's best if give a list to explain. Here's what compiles
and runs on the target (all shared libs):

busybox, tinylogin, udhcpcd, gzip, iptables, nasm

Here's what I've failed to compile:

GNU sed, grep, findutils; pcmcia-cs, vtun

I was able to compile GNU tar by hacking the makefile after it was generated
by configure; however, it segfaults immediately after printing the help
message. Bzip2 compiles and will print a help message, but gives an error
(unresolved symbol _fstat64) and dies if I try to compress something.

I have a native gcc-3.1.1 toolchain in ~/Builds/gcc-3.1.1/toolchain (hereafter
$tcdir). I've tried two methods to compiling everything above - one was
to add $tcdir/bin to $PATH and pass CC=i386-uclibc-gcc into make or configure;
the other was to put $tcdir/usr/bin at the front of the path. Let me now
shut up and let you see the errors :-).

pcmcia-cs:
386-uclibc-gcc  -c -MD -O -pipe -I../include/static -I/home/kode187/Builds  op-kernel/linux-2.4.19//include -I../include -I../modules lex_config.c
lex_config.l:41:21: wordexp.h: No such file or directory
lex_config.l:162: parse error before "wordexp_t"
lex_config.l:162: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
lex_config.l:166: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
lex_config.l: In function `get_glob':
lex_config.l:172: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
lex_config.l:174: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

[lots of this...]

lex_config.l:239: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make[1]: *** [lex_config.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kode187/Builds/pcmcia-cs-3.2.0/cardmgr'
make: *** [all] Error 2

GNU grep:

386-uclibc-gcc  -fomit-frame-pointer   -o grep  grep.o dfa.o kwset.o search.o grepmat.o ../lib/libgreputils.a
grep.o: In function `main':
grep.o(.text+0x2281): the 'setlocale' function supports only C|POSIX locales
dfa.o: In function `match_mb_charset':
dfa.o(.text+0x667e): undefined reference to `wcscoll'
dfa.o(.text+0x669a): undefined reference to `wcscoll'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [grep] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kode187/Builds/grep-2.5/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kode187/Builds/grep-2.5'
make: *** [all] Error 2

These both yielded the same results with each method. Any pointers to fixing
this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Bruce J.A. Nourish <kode187 at kode187.net>