[uClibc]Confusing uClibc messages

Karim Yaghmour karim at opersys.com
Sat Aug 24 05:58:56 UTC 2002

I had been conducting tests with uClibc which involved quite a few
steps. One of them was mounting a filesystem using BusyBox. Here's
what was happening:
# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /mnt
mount: Mounting /dev/mtdblock5 on /mnt failed: Bad address

No need to say that "Bad address" wasn't very informative. Especially
since the kernel had JFFS2 support and both /dev/mtdblockX and /mnt
existed on the rootfs.

I dug a little and tried a couple of things, including changing the
root fs a couple of times. At some point I decided to give glibc
a try. Using the same command as earlier, I got:
# mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock5 /mnt
mount: Mounting /dev/mtdblock5 on /mnt failed: No such file or directory

Apparently, I had forgotten to recreate the /mnt directory while
rebuilding my rootfs during my experiments. Earlier, however, the
directory was indeed present. Hence, I have a case here where there
was an undetermined error in the begining that I later fixed
at some point during my experiments but uClibc kept reporting
"Bad address" throughout. I cannot therefore determine either the
nature of the initial error nor the point at which I fixed it.

Is there any reason why uClibc would report different messages (i.e.
see different system call errors) from glibc?

Karim

                 Karim Yaghmour
               karim at opersys.com
      Embedded and Real-Time Linux Expert