[uClibc]MIPSEL compile problems

Erik Andersen andersen at codepoet.org
Tue Aug 13 14:33:28 UTC 2002

On Tue Aug 13, 2002 at 08:23:21AM -0600, cliffwood wrote:
> I tried to compile the Aug 12th version by ftping the
> gcc-3.1.1-uclibc-20020812.src.tar.gz
> untar'd it, selected ARCH:=mipsel, unselected ARCH:=i386, and executed make.
>
> This seemed to be working fine until it got to the point of wget'ing
> uClibc-0.9.14.tar.bz2.  After it retried numerous times, I ftp'd it manually
> and put it in gcc-3.1.1/sources/dl.
>
> I then did a make clean, and then make.  The process worked until the ld
> command gave the following error.  "could not read symbols: Archive has no
> index; run ranlib to add one"
>
> Does this mean that the archive wasn't built correctly?  The stdout/stderr
> output for the make is included below.

Hmm.  I have a mipsel test system sitting right next to me, but
I've not tried building this thing recently for mipsel.

Looks like for some reason gcc is failing to run ranlib on
libgcc.  Can you manually run

    /home/cwood/gcc-3.1.1/toolchain/bin/mipsel-uclibc-ranlib \
	/home/cwood/gcc-3.1.1/toolchain/lib/gcc-lib/mipsel-linux/3.1.1/libgcc.a

and check if it continues to the end?  If that fixes it, then I
can see an easy way to make certain this problem goes away in
future toolchain releases,