[uClibc]Can't get uClibc to work in alternate location

Brian Finley brian.finley at baldguysoftware.com
Thu Aug 1 15:33:14 UTC 2002

Erik,

The SystemImager development team is using uClibc as is having a bit of
a conundrum.  We need to be able to build uClibc, install it to a
development directory, compile against it there, then have the resultant
system work on our embedded Linux (BOEL).

If we install it to the default location of /usr/$(ARCH)-linux-uclibc/,
and pre-pend our path with /usr/$(ARCH)-linux-uclibc/bin, then
everything works fine.

If we install it to an alternate location (in a development directory),
the same proceedure fails to compile certain binaries.  Here's are what
I believe are the relevant parts of what we're doing:

In Config:
DEVEL_PREFIX=/home/bfinley/src/si.unstable/initrd_source/src/uclibc-dev
SYSTEM_DEVEL_PREFIX=/home/bfinley/src/si.unstable/initrd_source/src/uclibc-dev/usr

Again, if we use the defaults for these values, everything works fine,
but it means that things must be installed on the compiling box, which
we want to avoid as a requirement for package creation purposes.

-Brian